Monday, September 20, 2010

Journal Entry September 14

...
School today… ugh. Before I even started class in Turma C it was a mess. They were all riled up because of some drawing homework that was passed back, and I told them to put it away, it was time for chemistry. Then they were complaining because I asked them to turn in homework but I hadn’t told them specifically the class before to do homework on a sheet of paper, even though I have said multiple times to do every homework on a sheet of paper (do it in your notebook, the default, essentially means don’t do it). Everyone was talking, so I told them to be quiet, and one dude said something right after I finished speaking so I kicked him out. Other students were yelling “leave, get out” and so I told them to be quiet and they were students and I am the teacher and they need to sit and listen and learn not tell other students to leave. I think I’m getting better at controlling class, though. I don’t know how, just experience I guess. And the realization that if I want something from them (or I don’t want something) I will have to explain exactly what it is. This could be as simple as not talking during practice problems. It’s bad enough that my classes are so different, but they also have the disadvantage of not being able to think for themselves.

Oh, then there was the thing about the date. I HATE it when students correct me on trivial Portuguese errors. I rue the day I told them it was okay to correct my Portuguese. I had written the date on the board – as is expected every class along with a summary – but had written September in English. The Portuguese word is 2 letters off, but still someone had to correct me… I told them they knew what month it was and we didn’t need to talk about it anymore. God damn, it’s boiling my blood just thinking about it. I don’t think they understand that class time is precious – we have 90 minutes a week. In normal life in Sussundenga though, time is anything but precious, so maybe I will have to explain it to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment