Friday, June 4, 2010

My day today

To give people a sense of what my daily life is like. It's not always this busy.

• Woke up at 9:00. It’s the latest I’ve slept in for a while.
• Quickly checked email, fb, and nytimes on my nokia 2630
• Was walking to the market when I realized I didn’t have any credit to call Brian so I went to the shop by the school (centro social de esperança) to buy credit.
• Turned out the shop had egg sandwiches so I ate breakfast there as well as chatted with Brian
• Decided to walk to the mato-market anyway to buy leaves for dinner, onion, and tomatoes. Also bought two wire-y things to try and ground my electric stove that always shocks me.
• Planned for chemistry class
• Taught chemistry class. I have first period of the afternoon on Thursday and about half the class comes in late.
• Went home and spent 15 minutes playing around with eurotalk learn Shona before realizing it was pretty useless.
• Did some exercises and took a bucket-bath. It smelled like pee in my shower because a primary school kid snuck in and used it. He could have at least used the other side, but then again I did realize the latrina-side is a mosquito breeding pit this morning when there were about 30 on the wall next to the hole. I really need to do something about that.
• Cooked pasta and red sauce for lunch.
• Got a text from Nelson, my JOMA counterpart asking if I was at the school so I left lunch to meet him there. We went to his house and picked up the Moz-soft CD with the JOMA manual on it and I installed Adobe acrobat and Lingoes dictionary on his new computer.
• Nelson and I chatted while I ate lunch at my house. It was good to have company while I ate. He was telling me about how the higher-up direction of the school is against the teachers. I didn’t really catch all of it because that part of the conversation was in Portuguese. Something about teachers having different diplomas.
• We went to the school together to print the JOMA manual. I was glad the secretaries were kind enough to let us use all that paper. (Nelson also asked to take some paper for home haha).
• I biked down to the Oficina Pedegogica for my English class. With no time to plan (and some admitted procrastination) I only had a general sense of what I would teach before I went.
• Taught English class. Turns out my students like writing dialogues. I also discovered the wrong way to teach comparisons in English.
• Stopped by the market on my way home. I love it when there are potatoes.
• Got home and discovered Chris had already cooked dinner but was gone for the moment. I played some violin until he got back.
• Ate dinner (leaf curry – something called repe) and watched part of “The Goonies” with Chris. God I haven’t seen that movie in a long time.
• Chris left to prepare for a test tomorrow
• I read some Alistair Reynolds for a bit and now I’m writing this entry.

2 comments:

  1. Wait... so what exactly are these leaves? And why onions? lol besides that it sounds like a pretty busy day.. I didn't realize you had this blog!! About the science fair, I defiantly think that a flashy reaction of some sort would be fun.. visuals like that really peak attention and interest. Have a good night! ...or day, I think.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Hope you get that stove grounded; it can be a killer.

    2. Do you mean to imply that the mosquitos are breeding in the ____!!@@ UUGGHHH

    =DAD=

    ReplyDelete